Friday, December 16, 2011

Week 16 in Review

We repeated a Gingerbread man theme that I'd worked on last year.  It really is one of my favorites because the printouts are so cute and we always incorporate decorating something gingerbread.
The girls learned the second verse for Luke 2:10-11:  "Today, in the town of David, as Saviour has been born to you, who is the Messiah, the Lord."
Song: Go Tell it on the Mountain
Story: Gingerbread Man

Caroline of course learned both verses very well, but we were totally surprised by Charlotte.  Not only does she now verse 10, but after Christmas, she randomly recited verse 11.  Who knew she was really listening and absorbing.  I love having this opportunity to hide scripture in their hearts at such a young age. 


Again, I was still recovering from whatever hit me after my flu shot, so most of the bulletin board is from their Sunday school class, or just random art.  I didn't even do lesson plans.  I just tried to keep up with whatever math lesson came next.  We also focused on spelling the six basic color words.

Charlotte's shelf is almost irresistable this week: hide the gingerbread man behind the number, Candyland Castle game, build your own gingerbread man (just brown fun foam), matching gingerbread man color buttons, Candyland, and a gingerbread man golden book.



I traced a cookie cutter to make a craft project and then drew some gingerbread houses to go with some remaining foam candy stickers from several years ago.

We followed our tradition of doing Read and Write the room the week before a holiday.  I actually used the gingerbread printouts and printed them two per page, to come up with the worksheet.  Then I had colored crayons around the room for the girls to find and circle their man to "catch him."



Another Pinterest find was making gingerbread houses out of graham crackers.  It couldn't be easier!  I made them up the night before and left the roof seperate.  Then I portioned out candy and icing and let the girls go crazy.



We had another cracker to decorate and eat for snack, so we could save our finished houses for daddies to see.

Matching fuzzies to buttons.

Now that dad is home, we get to eat them!


I had some Christmas tree number cards, so Caroline spent one morning sorting all her flashcards to the corresponding answer.  It was a lot of work, and I'm pretty sure we didn't finish all the cards she's mastered.

0 comments: