Sunday, May 13, 2007

My First Mother's Day

Well, I say it's my first Mother's Day, but really I've had some others. The dogs have gotten me cards before - still do. And Kevin got me a pregnancy book last year. Anyway...

Today was my first Mother's Day. I got cards from Caroline, Kevin, and the dogs. And I got a Willowtree figurine of a mother and child. Then we had lunch at La Madeline after church.

I thought that I would think or feel something really profound, but it really felt like any other ordinary day. I guess, the thing is that ordinary days are special to me. I have the blessing and priveledge to have special moments with my daughter all the time. Don't get me wrong, we have our rough spots, but how lucky am I that I can spend all the moments, good and bad, with Caroline. This is the daughter that I waited and prayed for. "Good things come to those who wait..." or so the saying goes and what a good thing I have!!

Here is a montage of pictures of Caroline and me through the last seven months:

1 comments:

Debra said...

I'm so glad you had a good Mother's Day - I didn't get a chance to ask you that day since it turned out to be such a late visit. I love what you had to say, because I think it sums up what Mother's Day is. First it's Mother of My Child's Day (or his dog), and it evolves as the child(ren) get older.
I hope someday your children do something as wonderful for you as you did for me this year! But the most wonderful thing about Mother's day is reflecting on what a blessing it is to be a Mother, something mothers do more than once a year, often more than once a day.
I know that you are, and will continue to be, an exceptionally fantastic mother. Your daughter will love and admire you, and you will thank God for the rest of your life for choosing you to be Caroline's Mom! That feeling never leaves, even when she does.
And after reading what you wrote about your Mom, I know you will watch (and help as necessary) Caroline stand, walk, run, and eventually fly. Cherish each precious day while you can; someday you will wonder how they went by so quickly.
Welcome to the wonderful world of Motherhood!