Sunday, December 5, 2010

Home Preschool - Week 7



WEEK 7 – FALL PRESCHOOL

CIRCLE TIME FOR THE WEEK
SONG: This is the day that the Lord has made
PLEDGE OF ALLIGIENCE (adding because she knows it from BSF)
CALENDAR: Days of the week song
BIBLE STORY: Gabriel visits Mary (nothing is impossible with God)
MEMORY VERSE: Philippians 4:13 “I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.”
CHARACTER TRAIT: Self Control
CIRCLE TIME ACTIVITY: Ring those bells song from http://www.dltk-holidays.com/xmas/ringthosebells.htm

BASKET ACTIVITIES FOR THE WEEK:
Charlotte: Red/Yellow/Green/Blue wooden peg stacking rings
Caroline: Math flashcards with red/green popsicle stick counters
Play with pattern blocks with Christmas pattern mats. See http://prekinders.com/2009/11/christmas-pattern-blocks/
More review words from HOP (she finished set 2 and I put set 1 back in)

MONDAY:
FAMILY: Bible Story Coloring Pages
SCHOOL: HOP Lesson; Kindergarten CD 2:36-39
(We did lesson 26-35 during an off week.)

TUESDAY:
FAMILY: Pattern blocks
SCHOOL: Start Handwriting without Tears (HWT) prewriting practices
Update bulletin board with wrapping paper.

WEDNESDAY:
BSF
Cutting old Christmas Cards and making Christmas ABCs from http://www.dltk-bible.com/alphabet-poem.htm


THURSDAY:
FAMILY: Coloring books at mommy’s allergy shots
SCHOOL: HOP Lesson; Kindergarten CD 2:40-45

FRIDAY:
Seeing The Nutcracker tonight.



We had a lot of fun this week. It's so fun to do activities that lead up to Christmas.

We all enjoyed the new circle time song that uses our bells. We even used it at our Preschool Christmas party.

I learned that having pattern block patterns in a page protector makes for a lot of slipping and sliding. It won't stand the test of time, but just the paper alone works so much better.


We started working in the Handwriting Without Tears Pre-K book this week. We are getting all the pre-writing pages out of the way, so we can start on letters after the holidays. My plan is to work on handwriting with Caroline on the same letter that I teach Charlotte for letter recognition/sound. We'll see how that goes in my one-room schoolhouse vision.



My favorite project this week was turning my collection of old Christmas cards into a book. I had been saving them for a couple years for an unknown project, and this was it. I printed out an ABCs of Christmas from the website in my lesson plans and cut them apart. Then we picked out (mostly) appropriate cards and glued the strips to the back. Then I bound them all together to make a book. And on another day, I had Caroline stamp a title on the book. The only thing I'd do differently, is to plan for the wording to be on the preceeding card, so the card and corresponding letter are facing each other. I was really impressed that Caroline's attention span lasted through selecting 26 cards since that part took almost 45 minutes.





We also painted Christmas trees (see bulletin board) with a triangular foam make-up sponge, hair gel lid, and star sponge stamp. We made a spare for daddy's office. Caroline also painted her name using a paint brush. We've never attempted that medium for handwriting and I think she formed her letters even better than in pencil, crayon, or marker. Something I should explore more.

1 comments:

Carrie S. said...

I love that she is doing all of that in a princess outfit! So cute!