Wednesday, July 28, 2010

(crayons + 19 kids) x 4 days =

This is the remains of our pencil box full of crayons after Bible Camp. A basket of peeled crayons, broken crayons, and usuable crayons.

Since Caroline has been picking at the paper on all her crayons since Bible Camp, I decided to clean the box out. Caroline was happy to help me sort.


Then, we peeled all the broken ones.


And sorted them into a mini muffin tin.


While we peeled them, I had the oven heating to 350 degrees. When we finished sorting, I turned the oven off and put the tin inside. They only took five or ten minutes to melt down. Then I put them in the freezer for 30 minutes and they popped right out.

I think they will be good for Charlotte to color with.



I did learn that you really should let them melt completely to liquid. If the liquid is covering some whole pieces, that creates a weak spot and the crayon will most likely break in the middle.

Also, I'm not sure if it was some of the cheap crayons that I had in the mix, or the washable crayons, but even though it is the same color all the way through, the top part of the crayon doesn't seem to have as much pigment.

Still, it was a neat project. And reinforces what what Cheryl told me about a T-shirt she saw for me. CDO... it's OCD but in the right order : )

Oh, and before all my friends go out an buy me crayons... I still have a JUMBO unopened box of crayons that Uncle Will got Caroline for her birthday, so we are all set!

1 comments:

Melissa said...

I tried the crayon melting thing - but the websites I saw said to coat the tins with cooking spray, so it was a greasy mess. Also, the wax seemed greasy by itself and made for a yucky mess on the tins. I also tried with cookie cutters on wax paper, but quickly discovered that the melted wax runs right out under the edges. Did you spray your tins or just melt the crayons?