Sunday, July 22, 2007

Watching Paint Dry

Sorry it's been a while since my last post. My mom just spent the week with us and we were having too much fun to blog.

Monday:
My grandparents drove in with my mom. We spent the day visiting, eating, and of course, playing with Caroline.

Monday night, we noticed a wet spot on the ceiling in the loft. We determined that it was under our AC coils so we called the AC repair guy - again (we had a new starter and freon added last week). It turned out that now that the AC is working better that the drain decided to overflow.

Tuesday:
My grandparents headed home from their hotel while mom and I went shopping at Once Upon a Child for Caroline and had lunch at Panera Bread. We got Caroline this really cool ABC magnet set, only to find out that it was missing the "M" and the "W."

Kevin and I took advantage of my mom being in town and went out to dinner at Hook, Line, N Sinker.

Wednesday:
Mom and I had lunch at Panera Bread again - score. She also got to be here for my playgroup. It was the best turn out I've ever had for playgroup. There were three little girls and two boys, plus the five moms, my mom, and a pregnant mom. It made for a crowd in my living room, but was a blast.

Since Kevin had praise team practice that night, I downloaded Dreamgirls to our TiVo from Amazon Unbox and my mom and I watched it during Caroline's naps.

Thursday:
I ran errands in the morning (in the pouring rain) so that I could rent Rent - I'm on a broadway kick now. Yay, lunch out again at La Madeline. Then my mom and I took Caroline to Beyond Bounce. Caroline had a great time at BB since it was her third time to go and she warmed up to it really quickly.

Then I ran some errands. I traded the said magnet set for a set of magnets with animals on them. Caroline loves to take them off the refridgerator and it gives her something to do in the kitchen when I'm cooking. Of course, it makes it hard to get supplies out of the fridge. I also found some frames on sale at Kohl's that match a new picture that I got for the living room.

Now that the kitchen area is painted, I'm moving on to the living room/dining room. After dinner, I went to Lowe's and bought paint for the living room and had them re-shake the paint for the trim and dining room.

Friday:
I painted the living room and dining room. Let me tell you, this feat has been cause for much discussion. Since the main living areas of our house have no real beginning and end and the walls from one room run straight into the others. Picking where to stop and start was a challenge, but we decided that we couldn't make a mistake and just went with it. Since the living room ceilings are at least 10 feet high, I decided to add a chair rail and just paint below it. I think it turned out great. (I'll have to upload some pictures later.)

In the midst of me getting ready to paint and moving all the furniture to the middle of the room, we noticed a wet spot on the couch. Oh yay, our roof is leaking. Enter my dad, who had just arrived. He has great timing. He checked the roof and the shingles looked okay, so we called in a roofer.

And while all the roofing stuff was going on, I got a call that the previously mentioned pregnant friend had her baby - three weeks early. All our friends are in shock, but how exciting. Congratulations Mahon's!! And I get to help co-ordinate their meals, which I'm really excited about.

Then, Friday night, Kevin and I went to Home Depot and bought the trim. My dad rigged up some tresses in the dining room and my parents sat around Friday night while I gave the trim a coat of paint - thus the blog title "watching paint dry." We giggled about them sitting around watching me paint.

Saturday:
My dad and Kevin put up the chair rail. I'm glad that my dad and Kevin can work on stuff around the house together, since Kevin isn't much of an outdoorsman. They work great together and had it finished by lunch. Then I had to go around and touch up the nails and fingerprints (since the first coat was still a little tacky when they were working).

We'd had rain all week so we hadn't been able to take Caroline to the pool, so mom and I finally got to today... as the roofers were fixing the portion around the chimmeny that is probably causing the leak - say a little prayer that this was the culprit and a huge praise goes out that it didn't poor rain Friday night or Saturday morning.

Then Kevin and I went out to eat once more at Romano's Macarroni Grill which was an experience since I ended up with "Chicken Portifinno" which was really Chicken Portabello instead of the Shrimp Portifinno that I ordered. And then the waiter somehow lost our giftcard when breaking a ten dollar bill for tip. The managers were really nice and we didn't have to double pay... but stuff like that always makes me feel weird even though I know we weren't at fault. Oh well, Kevin and I ate two loaves of bread while we were there and brought a third home - yum!!

Sunday:
My parents headed to Waco, where they get to pick up my neice for a week. My mom is going to be so spoiled spending time with both her granddaughters. My nephew is still a bit young for a week at grandma and grandpa's. But then next weekend, we will all be in Tyler to take a family portrait.


So that was my week. Sorry for the play by play. It was great to have my grandparents come see our new house and to spend so much time with my mom and dad. I hope Caroline doesn't miss grandma too much this week, I know that I will.

And now I have two spots on the ceiling to figure out how to fix since our ceilings are not basic white and I don't have touch up paint. Try not to look up when you come over, please : )

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, you are busy!!

Anonymous said...

You're mom never seems to age! Just as beautiful as ever!!