Friday, February 24, 2012

Week 24 In Review

I had this week marked down as a President's day theme, but I really had no idea how I was going to execute it. Then, Charlotte got Hi-Ho Cherrio for her birthday and I started searching Pinterest and a theme was born.


Bible Verse: "The authorities that exist have been established by God." Romans 13:1b
Song: Washington/Lincoln song


We had special guests again this Monday, but I didn't get any pictures.  We did a George Washington dot-to-dot picture and for Lincoln, we did a worksheet for tallying a coin toss (with a penny of course).


I don't know why I call it Charlotte's shelf because Caroline is always equally excited about them.  Especially when I first get them changed over during the weekend.  This week, we have: coin stamps, tongs/bowls of fake cherries, blue fuzzies with a red star ice cube tray, lincoln logs (borrowed from a friend with boys), Hi-Ho Cherrio, President flash cards, and President book.

Coins are a great tool for sticking to a President's day theme.  It's been awhile since we polished pennies, so out came the vinegar, salt, and old toothbrushes and away we went.






It just so happened that Caroline's math dealt with adding 10 to any number this week and they even had us using pennies and dimes to teach the concept.


The lapbook we made during out vertebrate unit was a big hit with both Caroline and my neighbor's daughter she showed it to.  So, I invited her to participate in making a President's lapbook with us during the days she comes over for Study Hall (aka doing math worksheets while Caroline does hers).

We focused on Washington, Lincoln, and Obama this year.  Since they humored me on the first two days making tab books for Washington and Lincoln, we did a fun project of making a cherry tree and log cabin for our third day.  Then we added a picture of our current President and we were done.




0 comments: