Monday, November 8, 2010

Weekly reader

Caroline and I have been doing her Hooked on Phonics (HOP) lessons every Monday since the end of July. We do a very small, manageable chucks each time (between 1 and 4 tracks on the CD). We've made it through the "A," "I," and "O" cvc (consonant vowel consonant) words and learned 12 helper words (sight words).



I've heard about how reading eventually clicks with a child and I must say, I think it's happened in the past couple weeks.



Caroline is reading tons of words in her books now, even words that I know I've never exposed her to. She read "away" in a book the other day and when I asked her how she knew it said that, she looked at me like it was the dumbest question and said, "Well, it says A-W-A-Y. Away."



I catch her sounding out words in her books too. This is encouraging because having her sound out words during lessons can be a battle. I'm glad to know that she does grasp the concept.



She's so excited to read that she always wants to know where I am at on a page so she can jump in. Lots of times, we take turns reading the pages. If I'm reading something grown up to myself, like mail or a newspaper insert, she gets mad that I'm reading in my head.



Here's my reader being really silly reviewing some words from HOP.




2 comments:

Carrie S. said...

Silly Caroline! Looks like learning is a work-out!

Mom said...

Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! What if all of us got that excited about reading:) Can you imagine reading the editorial page. "O-ba-ma-care! I did Obamacare! I did Obamacare! I did Obamacare!"
We all need to take this much joy in simple accomplishments...we'd be so much happier! Way to go, Caroline. Thanks for reading to us!

Love,
Grandma