Wednesday, June 16, 2010

First trip to the dentist

Caroline had her first trip to the dentist today. I have to admit, it didn't go as well as I'd hoped.

We prepared this week, talking it up, coloring pictures, and making a mini-book about going to the dentist. I scheduled our appointments together, so Caroline watched me get my teeth cleaned first.

She was a little nervous getting into the chair, but she helped the hygenist pick out a tiger design toothbrush attachment and grape toothpaste pretty easily. Then... they moved the chair!! I had forgotten to think that part through.

Caroline, my child that still barely swings and will hardly ride a carousel ride, did not like it! Poor thing. She was very upset - crying with little screams in between. I was ready to give up and say she was through, but Caroline really wanted her turn so she could go get a milkshake afterwards.

I did eventually get them to move the chair without her in it and Caroline laid down long enough to show them her teeth and have a short chat. I guess we'll work on cleaning her teeth in another six months.


The funny part is that Dr. Perkins still needed to come examine me, so Caroline sat in my lap and fell asleep while we were waiting in the chair for him. So she did end up "riding" in the chair and sleeping during my exam.

1 comments:

Andrea said...

Lydia's first dental visit was about like that, too. She was having none of the moving chair, lol. She did MUCH better at her second visit.