Thursday, November 5, 2009

Sight Words

Caroline learned her first sight words today!




I'd been talking to my mom (a teacher) about how to proceed now that Caroline knows all her letters and sounds. The thought of teaching her to read is a little daunting, to say the least. Anyway, my mom mentioned sight words and that the color words are sight words.

I really had no intention about teaching this today, but when Caroline is excited about something, my mind starts going about ways to reinforce a concept. We were doing this Elmo workbook on colors today (another great Dollar Tree purchase that Caroline asks to work on each morning) and we got to the point that it was having her color in the color words for RED and BLUE. I pointed out all the words on the page and that "red" started with R, etc.

Then I made up two quick flash cards and let her scribble the correct color on the back. We did those a couple minutes.

Then I divided a paper and had her cut and glue red and blue scribbled paper. Then I cut out the words (written in black) and had her glue them on the correct sides.

I wondered if this was a fluke, but we revisited the concept after lunch and she still knew the flashcards and wanted to do another "craft." So I wrote the words (again, in black) and let her sort her stickers next to the correct words.





I wish I could find a way to be more consistant with activities like this. It's more that Caroline thinks its fun to do "workbooks" and that usually gets us going in a direction for a few days. I'm sure it will be late next week before we have more time to work on her workbook and learn yellow and green.

1 comments:

Michelle said...

That is one smart little girl you have! I love that she enjoys working with you so much. I wish I could get Tyler to sit still and work at the table with me more often.